Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

heart knot friendship bracelet valentines


I was feeling very uninspired this year when it came to making any Valentine's. I knew LM really wanted something to give to her cousins and a few friends, so I was just going to have her pick out some Valentine's at the store (which seriously would have been just fine). But, as I was falling asleep late last night all of these individual thoughts that were floating around in my head suddenly collided and I knew what I wanted to do - heart knot bracelets!

So if you need a very extremely last minute Valentine idea, here you go...


I had a bunch of soft suede leather lace I didn't end up using on a project (that I'll share later this week), so I originally thought that I could make adjustable friendship bracelets - you know, like those awesome neon ones we proudly wore back in the day? Then, Melissa fortuitously posted how to tie adjustable knots, and that combined with a picture of a heart knot I remembered seeing on Jen's Pinterest brought this idea all together. And, really, that's all it is - tying knots.



A how-to video for the heart knot can be found here. I had to watch it at least a few times to get the hang of it, but once it clicked the rest went pretty fast. I will say that I think the dark blue heart knot looks the best because it was a little thicker than the other colors so keep that in mind. Also, make sure you give yourself plenty of extra lace on each side for the adjustable knots.


Once you are done you can slide the bracelets over this little printable card I made, and simply pull the adjustable knots tight. Right click on the picture to save and print it (saying inspired by these two friendship bracelet Valentine's). Or you can make your own with Husband's rejected (albeit funny) idea - 'I don't like you. KNOT! Be Mine.' ;)





Happy Valentine's Day friends!!!


13 comments:

  1. awesome. the best part is that it's not edible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like one! How are they done? please tell us! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where do I find the instructions to make the knot bracelets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! the link to a video tutorial on how to tie a heart knot is in the post. there is also a link for a tutorial on how to tie adjustable knots.

      Delete
  6. About how long is the piece of lace used for each bracelet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to measure, but it was about a foot or so...

      Delete
  7. I'd love to know about about long the piece of lace is, as well. I'm hoping to make these for my daughter's classmates and just ordered some lace - estimating a foot per bracelet (for 3-6 year olds). Hoping that's enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Sorry, I should have thougt to measure, but I think it was about a foot. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. This is so cute. I love this idea. It is simple yet will surely have an impact on the recipient. Thanks a lot for sharing this awesome idea.
    LilyBrookeJewelry.com

    ReplyDelete